Pithoragarh is a major city of Uttarakhand state. Pithoragarh’s old name is Sorghati. It is believed that there were seven lakes in this valley earlier. The water of the Sarovars went dry every day and the plateau land was born here. Due to the plateau land it was named Pithora. But most people believe that Rai was the capital of Pithora (Prithviraj Chauhan). The name of this place was named Pithoragarh by his name. Rai Pithora had fought several times from Nepal. This is known as the King Earth Ship.
Fossils of fish and snails have been found in a village near the town, which indicates that the area of Pithoragarh has been a huge lake before the formation of the Himalayas. Till recently, Pithoragarh has been ruled by the Khas dynasty, which is credited with the construction of forts or quarters. There are four forts surrounding Pithoragarh, namely Bhatkot, Dungarcot, Udaakot and Ucharkot. After the Khas dynasty, the Kachudi dynasty (Pal-Mallasari dynasty) was ruled by this and the King Ashoka Malla of this line was contemporary of Balban. In the same period, Pithoragarh was established by King Pithora and also named Pithoragarh as its name. Three kings of this dynasty ruled from Pithoragarh and demolished the brick kiln that they built in nearby village Khankkot in the year 1960, the then District Collector of Pithoragarh demolished. Since the year 1622, the Chand Dynasty was occupied by Pithoragarh.
Another controversial description of the history of Pithoragarh is. According to Atkinson, a Samantra of the Chand dynasty, Puri Gosai founded Pithoragarh. It seems that in the reign of Raja Bharati Chand of Chand Dynasty (1437 to 1450), his son Ratnam Chand defeated King Duti of Nepal and captured the Solar Valley and in the year 144 9 it was merged with Kumaon or Kurmanchal. During his reign, Piru (or Earth Gosaini) built a fort here called Pithauragarh. Later this name was named Pithoragarh in the name of the fort.
Chandras expanded their rights to most Kumaon, where they ruled till 1790. He defeated many tribes and also fought with neighbouring kings so that their position would be strengthened. In the year 1790, the Gorakhali people called Gorakhiyali abolished the rule of Chand dynasty after settling the occupation of Kumaon. The exploitation of the Gorkha rulers came to an end in 1815 when the East India Company defeated them and took control of Kumaon. According to Atkinson, the total population of Pithoragarh was 552 in the year 1881. In the time of the British there was a military camp, a church and a mission school. Christian missionaries were very active in this area.
Pithoragarh was a tehsil of Almora district along with the primacy of the British till the year 1960, after which it became a district. In 1997, some parts of Pithoragarh were cut and a new district Champawat was cut and its border was redone. In 2000, Pithoragarh became a part of the new state of Uttarakhand.
facilities in Pithoragarh
There is adequate arrangement for lodging and lodging in Pithoragarh town. Here is a tourist house of 44 beds of Kumaon Mandal Vikas Corporation. Sa. N There is a rest house of the Department, Forest Department and Zilla Parishad. Apart from this, there are some such hotels which provide all types of facilities for the tourists, Anand Hotel, Dhami Hotel, Emperor Hotel, Hotel Jyoti, Jyitirmai Hotel, Lakshmi Hotel, Win Hotel, Karki Hotel, Alankar Hotel, King Hotel, Trishul Hotel etc.
Arrangements are made on behalf of ‘Kumaon Mandal Vikas Nigam‘ for tourists. Here in the autumn, an ‘Autumn Caliculture Festival’ is celebrated. A cultural festival of Pithoragarh is shown in this festival fair. Beautiful and beautiful dances are organized.
Pithoragarh also houses the sale of local industries. Many things are created by the state border industry. There is a good demand for items made from shoes, woollen garments and Kiggal. The tourists take these items away from here. Apart from the cinema halls at Pithoragarh, there is also the Stadium and Nehru Yuva Kendra. There are many means of entertainment There are picnic sites Here tourists come and enjoy nature.
Hanumangadhi has special significance in Pithoragarh. It is located 2 kilometers from the town. There is a rush of devotees every day. A kilometer away is the famous temple of the goddess of the meteor. The Radha-Krishna Temple is also the main attraction of visitors for about one kilometer. Similarly, the Rai cave on one-kilometer meter and Bhikkot is the important place at one-kilometer distance.
Festive of Kumaon
Some festive occasions are celebrated in Kumaon, Pithoragarh district, Hilljata is one of them. Hajjatra is organized every year after eight days of Gaura-Maheshwar festival in Pithoragarh district. This festival is celebrated in the month of Bhado (Bhadrapad). Lakhia ghost, the most beloved guru of Mahadev Shiva, is considered as Virbhadra, which is celebrated as a mask dance-drama. The blessing of Lakhia ghost is considered a symbol of Mars and prosperity.
Hilljata festival, which has been completely related to agriculture, started from Nepal. Legend has it that the King of Nepal, pleased with the bravery of the four brothers, who are celebrated as Indra Jatra in Nepal, will present four Mihars of Kumaon as Bhaiyun, Kunwar Singh Mehar, Chahaj Singh Mehar, Chanchal Singh Mehar and Jakh Singh had given to Mehra. Along with this Jatra, various items and solutions were also provided in this festival. With whom all these four brothers came back to Pithoragarh in Kumaon and celebrated the festival in the name of ‘Haljata’ in Kumaur village. Since then, it is celebrated every year in eight months after the Gaura festival festival. In the earliest times, it began to be called Hilljata. The beginning and closing of this festival is done with great joy and glee. In addition to Kumora, this festival is celebrated in many other villages of the district, such as Ascot and Devalathal but the character of Lakhia ghost is performed only in Kumaur village and in the village of Devalathal. In the mornings from the mornings, the fonders are engaged in decorating their wooden masks. In the afternoon, shops in the village near Kumor village start shaving near 150 years old swing. First of all, in front of the village, there are rounds of mukhias and red flags about the coat (the place made in the eleventh century, where the mercenaries had built their own house) with coals and dagas. Then, by filling the horse’s hand, a person comes in the woods, grasshopper and sees his feat, and then begins to see the mockery.
Hookah-Chilam drinking fisherman, Junkies of magnificent bulls, small bat (bull in kamouni language is called buld), big buck, imposing ox (which lies on plowghing in the hull), deer cheetal, drum nagade, hooda, the dancers offer that people stare mesmerized.
Suddenly the voices of the mighty dagadas start coming from the village. This is the sign of the arrival of Lekhia ghost (Virbhadra), the main character of Hilljathra. All the characters sit around the rows and the ground is evacuated. Then in black hands in black hands, rudraksha in the neck and rope tied in the waist, the character made of Lakhia ghost comes there. Everybody worshiped Lakhia ghost and the house-family seek blessings for the prosperity of the village. The Lakhia ghost goes back to bless everyone. Then each character goes back slowly. Even though today’s current period has become a period of communication revolution, but the people here have a lot of resentment to save their cultural heritage. It seems to be at least in these festivals celebrated in the village. It creates unwavering religious belief among the people as well as the art of public art also among other generations.
Even though this festival may have started with the bravery of the holy cities, but now it is celebrated as a festival of agriculture. The bulls, deer, chittal and paddy rapati women in Hillzatra also show animal love along with its agricultural life. Over time, the popularity of this festival has increased so much that thousands of people come to see it.
The Pithoragarh Fort near Pithoragarh is a major tourist attraction. From here tourists can enjoy watching beautiful scenes of Kali Kuman. According to the records, this fort was built by the Gorkhas after the invasion of the city in 1789.
Pithoragarh and its surroundings are located in an enjoyable noisy valley which is surrounded by Nepal in the east and Tibet in the north, Pithoragarh guarantees a remarkable excursion. Walking through the city is decorated with peaceful tranquillity, towns, forts, gorgeous green backwoods and regular property with the Kali river, this place is very breath-taking for travel lovers. There are many famous places in Pithoragarh for tourist attractions such as Munshyari, Pithoragarh Fort, Kapileshwar Mahadev, Dhavaj Temple, Nakuleeshwar Temple, Ascot Sanctuary, Chakori, Jhulaghat, Narayan Ashram, Palan Bhawaneshwar etc. Tourism activities are happening in Pithoragarh.